Ceph storage on Ubuntu
Charmed Ceph provides a flexible open source storage option for OpenStack, Kubernetes or as a stand-alone storage cluster.
Use Ceph on Ubuntu to reduce the costs of storage at scale on commodity hardware. Get access to a proven storage technology solution and 24x7 support with Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure.Get in touch
Production-worthy Ceph storage
Designed from the ground up for petabyte-scale deployments, Canonical's Ceph solution includes only open source components with highly automated operations to drive down the total cost of ownership.
If you do not have the in house expertise to operate your own storage infrastructure Charmed Ceph is available as a managed service.
In the early days of Ceph, Yahoo! Japan searched for a local company who could support them in implementing an open-source distributed storage solution from the Linux operating system all the way to Ceph. Canonical provided not only Ceph but also the tooling and expertise that reduced the OPEX associated with managing a large storage cluster.Find out more about Yahoo! Japan's Ceph cluster ›
The Wellcome Sanger Institute initially opted for self-maintained Ceph storage, but as their capacity needs grew from 3 PB to over 20 PB, they turned to Canonical to resolve their scaling issues. With the help of Canonical support, the Institute's latest Ceph rollout decreased from a month to just four days.Find out about Wellcome Sanger's path to a cost-effective Ceph infrastructure ›
Ceph storage deployment and operations
Canonical can help you to design and install your Ceph cluster or provide consulting to enable you to run Ceph autonomously. If you are interested in having automated Ceph Day-2 operations, you can opt for our offerings of Charmed Ceph, a Ceph cluster encapsulated in Juju charms. If you prefer to treat your storage as-a-service, we offer Managed Ceph — a Ceph cluster fully managed by Canonical.
Benefits of Ceph on Ubuntu
The choice is yours as to whether to use your own operational framework or leverage the advantages of Charmed Ceph. Each Ubuntu LTS release ships a version of Ceph that is supported for up to 10 years. Newer releases of Ceph can be installed from the Ubuntu Cloud Archive, allowing flexibility for selecting the right version of Ceph for your environment. To maximise Ceph upgrade flexibility for customers, Ceph versions are regularly released and maintained via Ubuntu updates and security repositories, as well as the Ubuntu Cloud Archive. This leads to a flexible mix between remaining at the forefront of innovation and providing long-term support predictability.
With many global enterprises and telco operators running Ceph on Ubuntu, organisations are able to combine block, file and object storage at scale while tapping into the economic and upstream benefits of open source.
Charmed Ceph for best economics in the datacenter
Using Juju as our model-driven application operations tool, it is possible to manage the entire lifecycle of deployment, configuration, and operations of a Ceph cluster. Charmed Ceph simplifies both installation automation as well as Day-2 operations orchestration such as upgrades and OSD maintenance operations while remaining interoperable with other configuration management recipes used previously.
Features of Charmed Ceph
- Highly scalable from terabytes to exabytes
- Highly reliable with no single point of failure in the cluster
- Fault-tolerant through data replication and erasure coding
- Highly secure client authentication and at rest encryption
- Compatible with Amazon S3 and OpenStack Swift APIs
- Lower CAPEX by using commodity hardware
- Lower OPEX through failure detection, self-management and self-healing
- Configurable and optimisable for cost and performance
Encryption at rest with OpenStack
Charmed OpenStack allows for encryption at rest to be configured through our Ceph charms which provide data encryption and integrity assurance for Ceph OSDs.
Our Ceph reference architectures have been developed after extensive testing and production experience.
Utilising nearline SAS or SATA drives for bulk storage to drive lower storage costs with NVME flash as a cache device to maintain performance levels.
Getting started with Ceph on Ubuntu
Ceph support on Ubuntu
- Ceph support is included in Ubuntu Advantage for Infrastructure
- Simple and predictable pricing model
- Up to 192 TB of raw storage included per node
- Get access to the storage experts 24x7 or during business hours
- Alternatively, get expanded security maintenance if all you need is peace of mind by consuming security patches from the world's leading security team
- Deploy complex Ceph clusters in minutes
- Easily upgrade to newer Ceph versions
- Provide model-driven orchestration for repeatability and predictability
- Configure nodes consistently across various node types
- Replace failing disk drives and retire old hardware
- Expand the capacity of your storage cluster
- Fully managed storage cluster, on your servers, at your location
- Built in 2 weeks using a proven reference architecture
- Customise the architecture in iterations based on your storage needs
- Your team has access to all machines at all times
- Modern monitoring and log management
- Canonical hands over the keys when you are ready